Back to School in Barrie: Simcoe County Public Schools, Private Schools & Universities
The city of Barrie, Ontario, is a community settled on the shores of Lake Simcoe. There are dozens of public elementary and secondary schools within the Barrie school district, as well as Catholic schools, French first language schools, private schools, and the largest branch of the Georgian College system. No matter their schooling needs, those who move to Barrie will find that education opportunities are just a short drive away.
Simcoe County School District
The public schools in Barrie, ON, are governed by the Simcoe County District School Board. There are 30 elementary and secondary schools within the Barrie town limits:
- Algonquin Ridge Elementary School
- Allandale Heights Public School
- Andrew Hunter Elementary School
- Ardagh Bluffs Public School
- Assikinack Public School
- Barrie North Collegiate
- Bear Creek Secondary School
- Codrington Public School
- Cundles Heights Public School
- Eastview Secondary School
- Emma King Elementary School
- Ferndale Woods Elementary School
- Hewitt's Creek Public School
- Hillcrest Public School
- Holly Meadows Elementary School
- Hyde Park Public School
- Innisdale Secondary School
- Johnson Street Public School
- Maple Grove Public School
- Maple Ridge Secondary School
- Mapleview Heights Elementary School
- Oakley Park Public School
- Portage View Public School
- Steele Street Public School
- Terry Fox Elementary School
- Trillium Woods Elementary School
- Warnica Public School
- W.C. Little Elementary School
- West Bayfield Elementary School
- Willow Landing Elementary School
Parents can find detailed Attendance Area Maps listing the boundaries for each elementary and secondary public school within Barrie's town limits.
Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District
Students can receive kindergarten through 12th-grade Catholic school instruction in Barrie, ON. These schools are governed by the Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board. In addition to schools in the surrounding area, this school board runs 13 Catholic elementary schools and three Catholic high schools in Barrie.
The elementary schools include:
- Monsignor Clair Catholic School
- St. John Paul II Catholic School
- St. Bernadette Catholic School
- St. Catherine of Siena Catholic School
- St. John Vianney Catholic School
- St. Marguerite d'Youville Catholic School
- St. Mary's Catholic School
- St. Michael the Archangel Catholic School
- Sister Catherine Donnelly Catholic School
- St. Monica's Catholic School
- St. Nicholas Catholic School
- The Good Shepherd Catholic School
- Saint Gabriel the Archangel Catholic School
The three Catholic high schools in Barrie are:
- St. Joan of Arc Catholic High School
- St. Joseph's Catholic High School
- St. Peter's Catholic Secondary School
The Simcoe Muskoka District provides an interactive map of Catholic school boundaries in the city.
French First Language Schools
In Barrie, 6.8 percent of the total population speaks French as a first language—above the average of 2.4 percent in Ontario. There is one elementary French first language school in Barrie and one high school, both part of the secular Conseil scolaire Viamonde. There's also a Catholic French first language elementary school and high school.
Secular French First Language Schools
École élémentaire La Source is an elementary school located in the southeast part of Barrie. Meanwhile, in the far southern end of Barrie off Essa Road is the École secondaire Roméo-Dallaire—the French first language high school in Barrie.
Catholic French First Language Schools
École élémentaire catholique Frère-André, the Catholic elementary French first language school in Barrie, is located in the Little Lake neighbourhood. The French first language Catholic high school is the École secondaire catholique Nouvelle-Alliance. It's at the midpoint between the Letitia Heights and Cundles neighbourhoods in Barrie.
Private Schools in Barrie
For parents interested in private schools in Barrie, there are three options to choose from: a Christian homeschool K-8 academy, a secular K-8 school, and a private high school.
The Christian Home School Academy maintains an office in north-central Barrie, just south of the Barrie Country Club. The Home School Academy does not have boundaries; families can live anywhere within the Barrie town limits to become school members. It's a Protestant home school program with a Bible-based curriculum.
The Kempenfelt Bay School is a private co-ed K-8 school located just north of the Innisfil Heights neighbourhood in central Barrie. It has a limited enrollment size of just 170 students. The education offered at Kempenfelt includes a mixture of arts and media, sports, and the International Baccalaureate program in grades 6 through 8.
The Canadian Secondary School is a private co-ed school for grades 1 through 12, which offers boarding for students. It is located just north of Centennial Beach on the shores of Lake Simcoe.
Colleges & Universities Near Barrie
The Barrie campus of Georgian College is just south of ON-400 and the southern shores of beautiful Little Lake. It is the largest campus of the Georgian system in Canada. The campus encompasses 57 hectares of land in North Barrie and also offers programs at the Arch and Helen Brown Design and Digital Arts Centre in downtown Barrie. There are regular bus routes between the two locations.
Georgian College offers the following 4-year degree programs in Barrie:
- Bachelor of Electrical Engineering (with Advanced Diploma)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Bachelor of Arts & Science - Environmental Sustainability
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Automotive Management)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Health Management)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Management & Leadership)
- Honours Bachelor of Counselling Psychology
- Honours Bachelor of Interior Design
- Honours Bachelor of Police Studies
- Honours Bachelor of Science - Applied Life Science, Biomedical Techniques
- Honours Bachelor of Science - Computer Science Degree
Barrie, ON is an Education-Friendly Community
Educational opportunities in Barrie, ON, are abundant. Options include secular public schools, private religious schools, French first language schools, and more. Many of the best neighbourhoods in Barrie are near schools, but regardless of where in the city one decides to move, odds are they'll be in a home near Barrie schools.